Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And speaking of liberal hypocrisy . . . .

Posted by Craig Westover | 6:13 PM |  

Spot makes a non-refutation refutation of my comments (confusing snark with substance), but this is the paragraph that I find most interesting. Attempting to demonstrate why I am wrong in saying government produces no wealth, he writes --
Libertarians just have an out-sized view of their own importance in achieving whatever success they have had. Take away the civilization that taxes pay for; pit Sticks against a guy who’s been living on the streets of Detroit for ten years, and watch what happens.
Now what I find interesting about that paragraph is that when Spotty summons a boogeyman to represent evil that government must protect me from, he calls upon a guy living on the streets of Detroit for 10 years (dare I venture that Spotty envisions this gentleman as black?). And yet when he and his ilk lament the evils of world for which we must have government controls, it is to curb the greed of “Big Oil” and Halliburton -- white guys in suits.

Hypocrisy aside, I detect more than a hint of bigotry in Spotty’s comment.