Sunday, May 07, 2006

And a buck-fifty will get you a tall coffee

Posted by Craig Westover | 11:12 AM |  

Forgive me if I seem a little cynical.

I was outside, working around the yard, listening to Sid (Hartman) and Dave (Mona) on Sunday Morning Sports Talk -- which was now into segment 396 on the Biblical devastation that will fall upon the Twin Cities if we do not build a publicly funded ballpark. Thus it was appropriate when Dean Johnson, who by his own accounting spent the morning in the Lord’s house, called in to defend the Senate stadium wrangling.

At one point, talking about why the Viking stadium was attached to the “Twins bill,” Johnson said (I’m paraphrasing pretty closely, but did not have a tape recorder running), “I’ve talked to the Anoka County Commissioners and, they all told me, ‘Dean, we want to build this.’”

That's what he said. And Dean Johnson is an exonerated man.

Note: Johnson also used the argument that Zygi is going to invest a billion dollars into the area if the Vikings stadium bill passes. A billion dollars. Why wouldn't Minnesota want to look at that proposal if it came with a billion dollar private investment. I am curious. At what level of investment does does the right to control one's labor cease to be unalienable and become a negotiable commodity of the state?