Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A note of appreciation

Posted by Craig Westover | 9:40 AM |  

I sent the following e-mail to this morning to Art Coulson, Opinion Page Editor of the Pioneer Press. Any so inclined, express your opinion as well.

Art --

I can't express how proud I am of the Pioneer Press for running my column today including the oblique references to Nick Coleman and the Star Tribune. I do not intend to make such references a practice, but this was a case where he was abusing his position to turn public discourse away from debate and reason into a mud-slinging contest -- something the Pioneer Press would call a politician or other public figure to account for.

Read the blogs -- some of the media’s harshest critics -- and you’ll find a definite change in attitude toward the Pioneer Press. That change is not based entirely on point-of-view, but also a recognition that the Opinion Page of the Pioneer Press puts an emphasis on logical, factual argument, not blatant partisan rhetoric.

As I’ve passed along, I get many comments from people in Minneapolis who would like to subscribe to the daily paper. I understand the economics of why that doesn’t work, but you may want to consider a higher-priced weekly “best of” edition that compiles non-time sensitive features and opinion pieces for distribution in Minneapolis and contains Minneapolis advertising. Just a thought.

Again, my compliments for your integrity and courage to present different points of view. My thanks for including me among that group.

Have a great holiday --

Craig