Wednesday, October 05, 2005

This is not satire.

Posted by Craig Westover | 6:32 PM |  

Saying that the American Lung Association of Minnesota Blog (which doesn’t take comments and only occasionally references opposing viewpoints) is evidence that he enjoys a lively debate, Bob Moffitt declined the opportunity to discuss the smoking ban with moi on David Strom’s Taxpayer’s League Live on AM1280 the Patriot. He felt his case might better be made on a (his quotes) “neutral ground” media outlet, citing “At Issue” or “Almanac.” (Almanac?)

Well, I wasn’t holding my breath on this one, anyway.

As to Bob’s request for a "neutral ground" media outlet, as I am still waiting for Bob to defend a secondhand smoke study of his choosing, I shall wait to hold a discussion with him on any media, including Almanac, of his choosing. The "neutrality" of a media outlet is not an issue; neutrality of the medium does not affect the validity of an argument. Bob's science will be just as misleading, his evasion just as evident, his lack of contextual knowledge just as obvious on "Almanac" as on Taxpayers' League Live."

In his rejection of its offer, Bob call "Taxpayers League Live a "class act." Well, if he feels that way, then why not use its credibility to spread his message?

For example, on the conservative Patriot I have spoken against the Bush administration position on the thimerosal/autism connection. I have spoken in favor of gay marriage. I debated David Strom on the validity of Congress’ intervention in the Terry Schiavo case. I also spoke in favor of school choice at a MPR event. In all those cases the majority of the audience was hostile to my point of view, but I made them think; challenges to my arguments made me think as well.

If one has courage of his conviction, and knows what he is talking about, one should be eager to spread the word beyond the safety of the converted. When one is getting paid to be a spokesperson, one should not be afraid to speak.